Stirling cryocooler is a machine that creates cold environment
and composed of a set of a compressor, an expander and heat
The Stirling cryocooler generally adopts Helium as a working gas
and it can readily reach the temperature below -200℃.
The technology can be utilized for various temperature ranges (from
under -200℃ to -15℃) and cooling capacities (from under W-class
Client / Market
- Stirling cryocooler can be applied in various fields depending on operating
temperature and required cooling capacity.
- Infrared (IR) thermal imaging sensor cooling device for military and space
- Cooling systems for superconducting power applications (superconducting cable,
superconducting fault current limiter; SFCL, superconducting transformer)
- Small-scale LNG liquefaction/re-liquefaction (–160℃) system
- Ultra-low temperature refrigerator for bio storage
- Low GWP (global warming potential) refrigerant-applied refrigeration/freezing system
Necessity of this Technology
- Stirling cryocooler has the highest efficiency among low-power cryocoolers.
- The cryocooler accompanied with an oil-free linear compressor is completely free from
a clogging problem so that it possesses high mechanical work conversion efficiency
with no valve loss and promises long operation life. There is no risk of breakdown due to
impurities hardening under an extremely low temperature below –60℃.
- The system can be compact as all components-compressor, expander and heat
exchangers-are a single unit.
- Stirling cryocooler technologies on various types
- By compressor : rotary compressor, linear compressor
- By piston and displacer arrangement : alpha-type, beta-type, gamma-type
- Our work group has remarkably worked and secured toward on a ‘free piston Stirling
cooler (FPSC)’ accompanied by a linear compressor.
- Cooler design that considers electro-magnetic, thermo-hydraulic and dynamic
characteristics for the entire cooler development process
- Ease of temperature and capacity controlling under an extensive temperature range
with high turn-down ratio
- This technology utilizes Helium as a refrigerant with GWP (global warming potential)
of zero so that it agrees to the Paris Agreement.
Excellence of Technology
- Development of Stirling cryocooler for infrared (IR) thermal imaging sensor cooling
- Rotary compressor and linear compressor adopted Stirling cryocooler with cooling
capacity of 0.4~1.0 W (at –200℃)Development of Stirling cooler
- Development of day-night observation facilities for military use and tank panoramic
- Approval for military
- Development of high-power Stirling cryocooler for superconducting power
application cooling system
- kW-class linear compressor driven Stirling cryocooler for liquid nitrogen cooling
- Ease of miniaturization and maintenance compared to conventional cryocooler driven
with crank-cam reciprocating compressor lubrication involved
- Performance test of 2 kW (at -200℃) verified through the liquid nitrogen (LN2) circulation test
CURRENT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT STATUS
- Linear motor design and optimization technology for Stirling cryocooler
- Compressor and low-temperature expansion device optimization technology
- Stirling cryocooler dynamics and thermal design, layout creation and assembly
- Stirling cryocooler operation control and performance analysis technology
- Development technologies for various operating temperatures and cooling capacities