Cooling technology to create and maintain thermal environment
below extremely low temperature (120 K, -153℃)
Technology using expansion of gas compressed with several
hundred atmospheric pressure to cool down to an extremely low
temperature within a few seconds
Client / Market
- Rapid cooling of infrared detector, small analytical instrument, cryosurgery, gas liquefaction
Necessity of this Technology
- Cryogenic cooling is crucial for a cooling type detector to achieve high resolution
and clear image.
- For cryosurgery using extremely low temperature require safe and temperaturecontrolled
- Joule-Thomson cooling technology is a cooling technology that is smaller than
other cryocoolers like Stirling cooler, pulse tube cooler, and GM cooler, can be
operated under lower vibration level and enables rapid cooling.
- Joule-Thomson cooling technology uses the cooling effect (Joule-Thomson effect)
that occurs through sudden expansion of high-pressure gas that passes through
a fine nozzle and amplifies the cooling effect through the high-efficiency heat
exchanger to generate cryogen for cooling.
- In cooling of infrared detector, the Stirling or pulse tube cryocooler requires a
few minute, but Joule-Thomson cooler uses a high flow rate of high pressure
compressed gas to cool down to a cryogenic temperature in a few seconds. Its
structure is relatively simpler and is easy to be miniaturized.
- A series of development process is needed for development of Joule-Thomson
cooler including cooling cycle design, design and production technologies for
components like heat exchanger, nozzle and flow control apparatus, and cooling
function performance test.
- To secure sufficient cooling and long operating time while achieving rapid cooling,
it is necessary to obtain optimal design technologies for small/high-efficiency heat
exchanger, nozzle and flow control apparatus.
- For performance assessment of Joule-Thomson cooler, vacuum and cryogenic
environment need to be established, and the thermal/structure design and
operation technology of performance evaluation apparatus needs to be secured.
Excellence of Technology
- Equipped with technology for the entire development process for Joule-Thomson
cooler–cooling cycle design, design of components (heat exchanger, nozzle, flow
control apparatus), and cooling performance assessment (In-house design program
for Joule-Thomson cooler design/cycle analysis/heat exchange and nozzle design
- Performance analysis technologies for Joule-Thomson cooler in steady and
- Thermodynamic cycle analysis technologies for single (nitrogen, argon) and mixed
- Completed verification of the technology through rapid cooling Joule-Thomson
cooler development and performance test
CURRENT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT STATUS
- Joule-Thomson Cooler Design (Program JTGUI: Registration No. 2011-01-123-
005467, JTDESIGN2 : Registration No. 2011-01-123-005453)
- Joule-Thomson Cooler Cycle Analysis (Program JTR-CD (Joule Thomson
Refrigerator-Cool Down) : Registration No. 08-01-121- 003011, JTC2ST : Registration
- Nozzle, Flow Control Apparatus Design (Program NzFlow : Registration No. 2009-
01-121-005649, TdBellows : Registration No. 2011-01-123-004743)
- Joule-Thomson Cooler Thermal Load Analysis (Program ColdFinger : Registration
- Joule-Thomson cooler’s cooling performance assessment technology